"Flexible" functions a possibility?

The Bat

Hello,

Is it at all possible in PHP to have "flexible" functions? For example, there's a function which has 3 parameters, and I only want to utilize 2 - the first one and last one. Instead of typing

myFunc('first', false, 'third');

Could I/how would I do this?

myFunc('first', $thirdparam = 'third');

(Assuming $thirdparam is the same variable used to declare the third parameter when creating the function.)

Using Rails has had me wanting this functionality in PHP ;) Thanks for the help!

The ampersands demonstrate how to use references when passing arguments as arrays.  If you don't use references, you don't need to worry about them :)  Just use the "bob" line for all your variables.

If you do want references, the "bill" line in the example demonstrates that you must take a reference in two places for it to be effective.  If you remove either one, then you will not get a reference back to the original variable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.