Problem with mass mailing (I am not spaming!Honest)

oceans

Dear Friends,

I am sending SMTP emails via my PHP page, I am sending about 20 SMTP emails (stress testing) one after another, these emails are sent via a FOR loop (has one MySQL seek for email address in each loop)(with NO forced delay what so ever).

I am using the emailing class from

http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone tried doing what I am doing?

Once in a while I get socket related “time out” after a few emails have been sent; some times I get this message after the very first email has been sent. Got I got to set any time related parameters?

But I have to tell that the PHP server and email server is not near for this test purposes (each are located in different country).

Thanks for your help!

PHP versions 4.0.4pl1 and earlier have a bug in which sockets timeout early. You can fix this by re-compiling PHP 4.0.4pl1 with this fix: timeoutfix.diff. Otherwise you can wait for the new PHP release.

Personally I Send one mail to myself with BCC all the other members..

saves time and processor unless you NEED each mail to be unique

YES, I am sending Unique Emails(20 counts).

I am using the Class, beacuse, I need to provide password to email server and I want to send HTML email.

How do you think we can get arround this problem? Could this be because the phpserver ans emailserver is thousands of miles apart?

But I was told, the page just askes an emailing request to server(20 counts), and the server will take care of the rest, I was also told the request will only last 2 sec the max(each), after which the server will Q the mail for sending, it will send when it is free, but will let go the page (though the mails are not out yet).

Please explain my understanding(I may be wrong), do I got to do anything to the PHP server settings or email server settings.

Thanks.

i have done mass mailing a few times and havn't had the problems you are having.. but without knowing the code used to the servers setup.. i can't say what the problem is

as for your "understanding"

The pages askes and emailing request to the server.. thats makes no sence

also where did the "2 secs the max" come from, seams like it was pull out of you head

But I was told, the page just askes an emailing request to server(20 counts), and the server will take care of the rest, I was also told the request will only last 2 sec the max(each), after which the server will Q the mail for sending, it will send when it is free, but will let go the page (though the mails are not out yet).

The pages askes and emailing request to the server.. thats makes no sence

I ment the PHP page asks the emailing request to the email server (please correct me)

also where did the "2 secs the max" come from, seams like it was pull out of you head

I mentioned my problem to my server space provider, he gave me this 2 sec max timing (feel free to correct me)

thanks.

PHP makes a request to the mail server, the most common timeouts are 30-90 seconds (of inactivity),

the most common problem with timeouts in php are when nothing is sent to the page thus "inactive"

have you tried echoing after each mail has been sent

eg results

email sent to:bob@whatever.com

email sent to:bobby@whatever.com

email sent to:sam@whatever.com

email sent to:sammy@whatever.com

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.