[SOLVED] Date calculations?

Petty_Crim

I'm having trouble with a simple date calculation. Basically I have to time stamps, $todays_date and $date_joined. I want to find out how long a member has been registered on my forum in days months years atm I'm taking  $date_joined off $todays_date but its giving me an actual date which is 1971-06-05 but I actually want something like 30 days or 2 months 3 days not the actual date if that makes any sense.

Heres my code:

$todays_date=time();

$date_joined=$member_row['user_joined'];

$join_time=$todays_date-$date_joined;

echo "Join time: ". date('Y-m-d', $join_time)."<br>";

So you've stored a timestamp in the database for when they signed up? You'll be wanting to do something like:

<?php
$todays_date=time();
$diff = $todays_date - $date_joined;
$days = floor($diff/86400);
echo 'You joined '.$days.' days ago';
?>

If its a date you've stored, you'll need to convert it to a unix timestamp with the strtotime() function.

So you've stored a timestamp in the database for when they signed up? You'll be wanting to do something like:

<?php
$todays_date=time();
$diff = $todays_date - $date_joined;
$days = floor($diff/86400);
echo 'You joined '.$days.' days ago';
?>

If its a date you've stored, you'll need to convert it to a unix timestamp with the strtotime() function.

thanks that worked perfectly. I'm curious though as to what floor and that 86400 number means.

Also say I wanted to show how many months a member has been a member for, would I base a month on 30 days or 31 days? Whats the standard way?

Well, the manual is your best friend for functions. floor() rounds a number down. The 86400 is the number of seconds in a day. Since we have a time difference in seconds, we divide by the number of seconds in a day to get the number of days difference. We round down so we show a whole number of days.

Also say I wanted to show how many months a member has been a member for, would I base a month on 30 days or 31 days? Whats the standard way?

That is exactly the problem. Id personally leave it as a number of days.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.