[SOLVED] ODBC and committing a transaction? Help!

leesiulung

I'm on a Windows hosting environment with GoDaddy. I normally prefer MySQL, but am stuck with MS Access.

Anyhow, how do you one start and committ a transaction? I use odbc_connect and odbc_exec to run my queries, but do not understand the documentation for odbc_commit.

Anyone have any clues? Kind of lost here....

It will work most of the time, but it could potentially mix up peoples' account. Thus, it is a good idea to fix it.

Basically, I need to insert a new account and keep track of the primary key which is numeric.

Since, I do not want autoincrement on in Access I do the following:

1. start commit

2. find new unused primark key (userid) by number of records + 1

3. insert new record with userid

4. commit

5. insert additional records into other tables with using primary key as foreign key

Any other suggestions?

The key operation there is #3.  If #3 succeeds, then you've got your new key and no-one else can have it.  So you may be able to get away without transactions.

From what I understand of ODBC (ref: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa198023(SQL.80).aspx ), you must switch autocommit off to start a transaction.  Then, when your work is finished, you call the odbc_commit() function.  So.

odbc_autocommit($conn, false);
# do your stuff
odbc_commit($conn);

But this is all pure speculation, I am by no means an odbc expert.  Test it first!

I would test it with:

# do an insert

odbc_rollback($conn);

If the insert is visible, then something is wrong.  Then try the same with odbc_commit().  The insert should be visible, but only after the commit.  You might want to add a sleep(10) before the commit (and check the db in another window), so you can verify that the insert only becomes visible after committed.

The key operation there is #3.  If #3 succeeds, then you've got your new key and no-one else can have it.  So you may be able to get away without transactions.

From what I understand of ODBC (ref: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa198023(SQL.80).aspx ), you must switch autocommit off to start a transaction.  Then, when your work is finished, you call the odbc_commit() function.  So.

# do your stuff
odbc_commit($conn);

But this is all pure speculation, I am by no means an odbc expert.  Test it first!

This worked. Thanks! For those wondering this was with GoDaddy's Windows Deluxe hosting. I highy recommend AVOIDING GoDaddy if you need PHP on Windows hosting. They do not officially support PHP on Windows.

I would test it with:

# do an insert

odbc_rollback($conn);

If the insert is visible, then something is wrong.  Then try the same with odbc_commit().  The insert should be visible, but only after the commit.  You might want to add a sleep(10) before the commit (and check the db in another window), so you can verify that the insert only becomes visible after committed.

While testing the code I found a bug and indeed the transaction was rolled back. Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.