Making selections across related tables and displaying the content

brianbehrens

I don't use this as much as I should, and when I do I really seem to struggle with it.

I'm creating a simple database for a band.  I have a discography section where I want to display the albums from 1 table and the related songs from another.

The ALBUMS table has the following fields

id (primary key)

title

year

and the ALBUM_SONGS has the following fields

id (primary key)

album_id

track_number

title

How do I pull out each album and the related songs to that album in 1 SQL query?

I know it can be done, but like I said, I don't do this that often and my mySQL skills are poor.

Also not knowing exactly how the array comes back, any help with displaying the information in PHP would be a big help. 

Really where I struggle is the MySQL though.  This forum has been a great resource, and I thank everyone for the continued help / support.

ahh yes.

SELECT albums.title, albums.date, albums.image_type, album_songs.id, album_songs.album_id, album_songs.song_number, album_songs.song_title FROM albums, album_songs WHERE albums.id=album_songs.album_id ORDER BY albums.date DESC, album_songs.song_number ASC

good stuff.

I need to brush up on my MySQL.  Thanks for the resource, but I thought it would be a little harder than that.  I guess not.  A little reading never hurt anyone.

This is working great, but I'm now running into an issue where if there are no songs available for listing on the album, the album itself will not display because there are no associated songs.  Is there a way to display the albums with no associated songs in the database without an additional query?

Seems like I would do a LEFT JOIN, but that extra album with no matching songs is not displaying.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.