[SOLVED] stream_get_line works... fgets doesn't

heavyEddie

I'm trying to use the code below to parse some information in a text file that is generated on a remote server.  If I use stream_get_line it works nicely, but fgets simply gets stuck in an endless loop.  Any ideas?

I wish to use fgets since it appears that stream_get_line isn't available on many hosts.

$file = "http://www.site.com/bla.pl?id=1";
$handle = fopen($file, "r");

// Read each line of the file and check to see if this person is still logged in or not.
if ($handle) {
    while (!feof($handle)) {
    	  //$buffer = stream_get_line($handle, 1000, "\n");
    	  $buffer = fgets($handle, 4096, "\n");
    	  //bla bla bla bla bla
     }
    fclose($handle);
}

Why do you have three arguments in fgets()? It should only accept two. If you just put the one argument ($handle) it will read to the end of the line, unless, for some reason, you only want the first 4096 bytes of a line.

However, if you are just putting the contents of the file into a buffer string, why don't you just use file_get_contents()? It is the most efficient functions this sort of thing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.