[SOLVED] Reformatting Telephone Numbers

refiking

I am  uploading a csv file into mysql, but I need to enter the telephone number without the hyphens. I basically need the telephone number to be stored in mysql db like this xxxxxxxxx instead of xxx-xxx-xxxx.  What can I change to fix that?  Here is the code:

<?php
include "connect.php";

if(isset($_POST['submit']))

{

$filename=$_POST['filename'];

$handle = fopen("$filename", "r");

while (($data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000, ",")) !== FALSE)

{

$import="INSERT into prospects(Sal,BFN,BLN,Addy,City,State,Zip,Value,Tenure,Phone ) values('$data[0]','$data[1]','$data[2]','$data[3]','$data[4]','$data[5]','$data[6]','$data[7]','$data[8]','$data[9]')";

mysql_query($import) or die(mysql_error());

}

fclose($handle);

print "Import done";

}

else

{

print "<form action='import.php' method='post'>";

print "Type file name to import:<br>";

print "<input type='text' name='filename' size='20'><br>";

print "<input type='submit' name='submit' value='submit'></form>";

}

?>

You can use it right in the sql statement, if you want.

$import="INSERT into prospects(Sal,BFN,BLN,Addy,City,State,Zip,Value,Tenure,Phone ) values('" . ereg_replace("-", null, $data[0]) . "','$data[1]','$data[2]','$data...

That is, assuming you wanted to remove "-" from $data[0].

No, I'd like to remove it from data[9]  So, should it be like this?

$import="INSERT into prospects(Sal,BFN,BLN,Addy,City,State,Zip,Value,Tenure,Phone ) values('$data[0]','$data[1]','$data[2]','$data[3]','$data[4]','$data[5]','$data[6]','$data[7]','$data[8]',ereg_replace("-", null, $data[9]')";

To make the code more robust, I would strip anything out that isn't a digit even if your number is guaranteed to be of that format. People do dumb things sometimes.

Might take a small peformance penalty, but how often do you do inserts? Hopefully not as often as selects....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.