XML v Database

willpower

Hi

Just wanted some opinions here if you would.

I have been asked to develop a site for a recruitment company.  Clearly this will hold all their job vacancies.  Now the software they use generates an XML file with approx 128 child nodes per Job node.

What is normal practice here. Would you guys keep parsing the XML with every job in it instead of using a DB or would you wite a script that checks the XML for changes and updates a DB every so often and parse the DB for your webinfo

Whats the overhead differences when it comes to processor load?

Any hints, help, opinions or advice greatly appreciated

Thanks as ever

Will

That seems like a relatively small XML file so you're not going to be out much processing time... and with XML you don't have to mess with database connections.

Personally I like to use XML to interface different applications together and databases to maintain collections of data in logical manners. Also anytime security is a big concern I almost always go the database route.

But in this case I'd say you're fine to continue parsing the XML.

128 nodes multiplied by (unkonwn) job quantity...not sure how to determine waht a large XML file is and wher it becomes a hinderance to performance.

Thanks for your comments.

Has anyone done somethng similar on a recruitment site perhaps?

Barand..where are you when i need you?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.