About multilingual support

jotapt

Hi,

I need to implement multilingual support for some scripts I've made. My question is which is the best way regarding the execution speed ? Should I use define(x,y) or $lang['x']=y ? Or this is not relevant ?

Thank in advance for any opinions and advices.

One idea i've seen done is based on what ever langauge is pick it throws that url into googles translator and then returns the result with the google frames removed.

using fopen(google.com/translate/languagechoice/$_SERVER['self']) or what ever the google url syntax is for it, and then stripping away all the google stuff in the page.

The only answer there is to benchmark it.  But I would go for convenience first if I were you.  The $lang[] approach seems much more convenient to me, because:

- You can list all the translations easily.

- You don't pollute the namespace with the defines.

The only answer there is to benchmark it.  But I would go for convenience first if I were you.  The $lang[] approach seems much more convenient to me, because:

- You can list all the translations easily.

- You don't pollute the namespace with the defines.

Thanks. I did the bechmark and the difference is minimal. However, I'll use the array approach. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.