php memory_limit

thedarkwinter

Hi guys

Just getting your opinions on changing the memory_limit in php.ini

I have a site that normally has about 10 concurrent users at any time, doing minimal hardware-stress work.

I need to add one script thats a major database export to csv, it only takes a few seconds to run but it crashes out at about 150MB of memory.

Is it a bad idea to set the limit to 256MB ?? Are there any major drawbacks. Seems fine on my test server.

Cheers,

tdw

The most i've seem sovar on a php/mysql server with apache is 32MB(that server has about 4GB MEM).

Remember the server still has to have resources to do the other processes.

On you're testing server 256MB might not do anything.

but try it with about two thousand connections.

Well, If the memory limit is as high as 256MB, then php won't do anything, so apache will crash and you're server may do that as well.

I have set my limit up to 32MB once, to run a simple curl script that would post data to a page, then suddenly my apache crashed.

So if my memory limit there was 256MB, because I have a powerful processor it probably would not have crashed but would have lagged like hell.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.