Booking system

dmdb

Hi people,

I'm trying to design an booking system and have a problem with preventing conflicting bookings for items. Keeping it fairly simple for the moment, if I have a table of items, so:

items.id | items.name

And then a table for booking items (ignoring users and other details for the moment, also assuming only one item per booking to keep things simple for the purposes of this question):

bookings.id | items.id | bookings.startdate | bookings.enddate

If say an item was booked for the 1st Jan through to 5th Jan, if someone then enters a booking including that item for 3rd Jan to 9th Jan for example, how would I run a check on the free and available dates for that item. As in the real scenario items can be booked for up to 3 weeks I'd have to pull from the bookings table all values which related to that item and then check each day individually. I know how to do some searches on an SQL database but how do I search for a value which isn't specifically mentioned (the dates inbetween the start and end date).

If anyone can help I'd very much appreciate it and I'm hoping I've explained well enough!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.