[SOLVED] Concatenation question (newbie)

mosey

Hi

I'm working on a mini-site for sending SMSs, and am using a 3rd party API found to do most of the backend work through the gateway. However, I'm a bit stuck (as a php newbie) as to how I can add on an extra variable to the message variable.

In more detail:

1. The user sees a standard web-form, which includes variables such as 'recipient number' 'message', where recipient number is an input box, and message is a textarea form.

2. The backend API takes the text from the message, and puts it through rawurlencode to ensure that it is correctly formatted. In this message, I am including a url e.g. http://www.google.com

3. I would like to append the recipient number variable to this url, so the user actually sees e.g.: http://www.google.com&recipient number

The way the backend API sends the message, is to concatenate all the values together: so something like this:

$comm = sprintf ("%s/sendmsg?session_id=%s&to=%s&from=%s&text=%s&callback=%s&unicode=%s%s",
            $this->base,
            $this->session,
            rawurlencode($to),
            rawurlencode($from),
            $this->encode_message($text),
            $this->callback,
            $this->unicode,
            $concat
        );

I have tried simply just using

$this->encode_message($text) ."&". $to,

or

$this->encode_message($text)  ."&". ($to),

or

$this->encode_message($text)." &". rawurlencode($to),

to no avail, so would really appreciate it if a more experienced user wouldn't mind suggesting a solution or tip to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance! :)

p/s:

$this->encode_message($text)

is outputted as

rawurlencode($text)

- it is setup like this in case the message is sent in unicode and has to be processed further.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.