websitehelp on how to learn php? (im new here :D )

trevorrs

hi,

i am going to open a internet based company selling motorsport products but first i need to get my website sorted out.

i have already made an attempt ( www.tj-tuning.co.uk )

but it is designed with static pages. i would like to learn how to design dynamic pages with php, and a shopping cart!

what is the best way to learn php?

and are there any guidelines or help for php shopping carts or ecommerse wensites?

Thanks

Trevor

If you've already got the product to sell, and you're not a programmer, I suggest using an existing solution.

Reasons why...

1. They continuously update their software.

2. They troubleshoot the code.

3. Support for integrated payment processors..

And on and on...etc.

The solution I use for my clients is:

http://www.turnkeywebtools.com/sunshop/

Edit: Online Demo -> http://demos.turnkeywebtools.com/ss4/

that solution seems very good but, personally i would rather learn php to make my own website,

1. its free

2. it means i can say i did it

3. i can edit it when i want to

4. i have a fully custom procedure

5. it does not look like 300 other ecommerse websites on the internet

so are there any good tutorials on how to learn php and mysql?

and how long do you reckon it would take me?

Cheers

Trevor

Other than the obvious: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials.php

I would recommend looking at half.com, amazon.com or whatever favorite book seller, and buying a book.

I have had much better luck getting well written instructions and accurate information in a published book than in free online guides. (on any technical subject) My first PHP book was "PHP and MySQL: for dynamic websites" one of the "Visual Quickpro Guides". It is published by Peachpit Press. (covers e-commerce too)

I would recommend against any O'Reilly book if you do not have any programming experience. (but you may appreciate them later)

PHP 5 has been around for a while, so you can find used books covering it for rather cheap (if cost is a concern).

that solution seems very good but, personally i would rather learn php to make my own website,

1. its free

2. it means i can say i did it

3. i can edit it when i want to

4. i have a fully custom procedure

5. it does not look like 300 other ecommerse websites on the internet

so are there any good tutorials on how to learn php and mysql?

and how long do you reckon it would take me?

Cheers

Trevor

If you are dedicated and use books aswell as websites you will be able to learn PHP to a level that you can start to program a shopping cart in say 1 week, however you wont be touch typing code by any means, you will need alot of help and to refer back to your books and the website alot. W3SCHOOLS is a great website (top on google) and then there are some books called "In Easy Steps", this will give you all of the knowledge you need. As well as PHP it will tell you about XML and SQL.

To effectivly learn and program book in 3 hour windows, you are your most effective at the 3 hour mark, so once you are in the zone you dont want to stop.

Thanks,

Joel

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.