Arrays and mySQL

padams

I have only rudimentary PHP skills so have been struggling a bit to solve this problem. I am trying to build a dynamic website for a sports club, that allows users to enter new matches with details such as who played and who scored, and have this automatically update players statistics.

I have created a page where users can create a new match. On this page is a multiple-select List (named matchTeam) set up for users to select all of the players who played in the game. They click Submit and this sends all the data to a confirmation page. On this page I want a list of those players selected, along with how many games they have played. I have set up the List so that the value of the selected item(s) is playedID (a numeric primary key). This posts an array of a bunch of numbers to the confirmation page. I want to take this array and go to my mySQL database and go to the table called players, then create a recordset containing their names (in two fields, playerFirstName and playerLastName and the number of games they have played (playerGames). I will then echo this onto the confirmation page.

Finally, I'd also like to have textfields appear next to the names and games information, so that I can enter the number of tries/touchdowns they have scored. When the user clicks the Confirm button, it should automatically add 1 to the playerGames value for each player, and add the number in the tries/touchdowns field to the playerTries value for those players.

The problem I can't get my head around is that the matchTeam array that is posted to the confirmation page has multiple values in it, and I only know how to create a recordset based on one piece of information. How do I loop through the array and return the recordset with all the info I need?

Sorry about the lengthy explanation, but it seems like a complex problem (to me anyway!).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.