PNG Transparency while retaining black

phpknight

I've been searching the posts and still cannot figure out how to do this.  Here is the issue:

1.) If I upload a PNG and resize it, any transparent background turns black.  Many people have spotted this.

2.) Is there a way to reatain transparency AND keep black as black if the image originally has it?

From seraching, it appears it has something to do with imageSaveAlpha and imageColorTransparent, but I still I am not if these would fix the issue.

It's IE 7. 

So, if somebody uploaded a transparent PNG and did not save the gamma, is it going to turn black anyway in IE even though it would not in Photoshop?  Please explain.

MadTechnie, that alphablending will work and retain the black native to the image as well?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.