Major Problems with including retrieving data from two tables.

gc40

Greetings All,

I am currently writing an application that has two tables.

Tables = CONTENT and THEME_IMAGE

CONTENT FIELDS = id, title, description, theme_id

THEME_IMAGE FIELDS = theme_id, title, filename

===================================

I have already written a script to output information from both tables. However, I am now working on a script to UPDATE the database from the web browser.

The CONTENT table is used to store information about an article. Each article has a theme image, but many articles can use the same theme image, hence the need for separate THEME_IMAGE table.

Now, when I go to edit the CONTENT article, there is a <select> field which should display ALL the contents from THEME_IMAGE table. This is so that when a user is editing the CONTENT article, they can select a new THEME IMAGE if one hasn't been selected already. 

Now, the problem I am getting is I don't know how to interlink two tables (CONTENT + IMAGE_THEME) so that the user can see the IMAGE_THEME Image Title in the <select> <option> tags, and when they choose it, the "id" is written to the CONTENT theme_id table so that it can be referenced later.

Also, if there is a theme image already choosen, it should display that.

<td>Theme Image:</td>
      <td><select name='Theme_Image'>
      <? if($onecontent->Theme_Image!="") { ?>
            <option SELECTED value='<?php echo($Theme_Image); ?>'> <?php echo($Theme_Image); ?> </option>
<? } else {?>   
            <option value=''> No Theme_Image </option>
<? }?>   
            <?php
                $sql = "select * from theme_image order by Theme_Title";
                $images = mysql_query($sql, $db);
                while($oneimage = mysql_fetch_object($images))
                {
                    echo ("<option value='$oneimage->File'>$oneimage->Theme_Title</option>");
                }
            ?>
           </select>	
     </td> 

First of all i think you should be having 2 separate selections, that is drop downs, isn't it?

Regarding how to interlink it should be simpler now for you to understand...you will need to use joins simply and query appropriate theme based on content selected.

Can you walk me through. I am quite lost and confused.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.