[SOLVED] mysql_fetch_array(), either me or it going crazy?

dungareez

Hi all,

I keep having serious issues with using mysql_fetch_array($result) and I don't know why. I have used it many times previously without issue. Here is the code I am using (I have added in a few items while trying to debug it).

function vendorReactivateList()
{
$query = "SELECT * FROM vendors";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die (mysql_error());
$num = mysql_num_rows($result);// used this to verify I was getting results (I am)
$returnValue ="centercontent_____<font size=\"3\">Inactive Vendors</font><br /><br />"; // this is just part of the output

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result));
{
$name = $row["name"];
$active = $row["active"];
$vID = $row["vendorID"];
if($active!=1)// am only doing this to simplify query for debugging, later this will be eliminated and query will be more specific
{
$returnValue .=$name."    ";
$returnValue .="<a href=\"#\" onclick=\"gensend('mode=9&vendorID=".$vID."&reactivate=vendor')\";>Reactivate</a><br />";
}
}
$returnValue .=$num;
$returnValue .= mysql_result($result,0,'name');//used this to again verify I am getting an accessible result, I am. I can even iterate through this to bypass my problem with mysql_fetch_array , but I want to solve that problem as it has occurred to me in another spot as well
return $returnValue ;
}

I swear I have looked at the syntax of the mysql_fetch_array syntax many times and can't see anything wrong. I am getting in the loop but it is not going through the array. I am seeing only one result without any values from the query (excluding my test with mysql_result($result,0,'name')). Any help would be very greatly appreciated as this issue is frustrating the heck out of me.

I can get the exact functionality that I need by doing the following:

// using this till I figure out my mysql_fetch_array issues
        $i =0;
        while($i < $num)
        {
          $name =mysql_result($result,$i,'name');
          $vID =mysql_result($result,$i,'vendorID');
          $active =mysql_result($result,$i,'active');
          if($active !=1)
              {
                $returnValue .=$name."    ";
                $returnValue .="<a href=\"#\" onclick=\"genSend('mode=9&vendorID=".$vID."&reactivate=vendor')\";>Reactivate</a><br />";
              }
           $i++;

But like I said I want to figure out exactly why mysql_fetch_array is not cutting it for me here while it is working fine in other areas.  I can't see any difference in the code.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.