Autoselecting a value in a dropdown menu

HaLo2FrEeEk

I'm revamping my sites administration panel and I put in a dropdown menu to select the section to administrate (it was a LOT better than the list of links I had before, I'll probably update it some more though) and I want to know how I can autoselect whatever page I'm on in the dropdown menu, for example, here's the menu:

Administrate:

News

Roster

Update Roster

Update Emblems

Click Counter

Pending Affiliates

If I select Update Roster, I want it to automatically have Update Roster selected when I load that page.  Basically I've got the indx.php which has a large switch statement that handles all the different actions that can be taken, the switch statement uses include to call up the corresponding file, which also has a switch statement to handle all the different functions of that particular section.  Roster has Update and Update Emblems, and Add a new member; Click Counter has Add a new link, delete link, reset to zero, etc.  I want the page I'm on to be the selection in the dropdown menu.  How can I use php to do this?

Well, if its all going through index.php and you pass an action to it through the URL, then it would be something like:

<?php
$action = $_GET['action'];
$pages = array('news','roster');//fill the array with all of your pages
echo '<select name="page">';
foreach($pages as $v){
echo "<option value='$v'";
echo $action==$v? "selected='selected'": "";
echo ">$v</option>";
}
echo '</select>';
?>

Makes it much easier by putting all the possible pages in an array.

So that means that if I update and add functionality to the admin index page, then I have to update the array too.  This is way complicated.  Is there any way to make it so I don't have to have all the values in 3 different places?  For example:

index.php:

switch ($action) {
  case "news":
    include('./news.php');
    break;
  case "news_insert":
    include('./news.php');
    break;
  etc...

news.php:

switch ($_REQUEST['action']) {
  case "news_insert":
    // Code to insert from the form below
    break;
  default:
    // Form to submit news
    break;
  etc...

Array in index.php:

$c = array('news', 'news_insert', etc...);

There's a lot to go wrong there, any way I can make it a better system?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.