php.ini frustrations on Windows Server 2003

Hey everyone. I've been having some real difficulty in getting PHP 5 running with the configuration file. I've spent hours trying to figure it out, looked at multiple websites and about to delete everything and start from scratch.

Running a Windows 2003 Server with IIS 6.0 through 1&1. All I want is the MySQL extension to function so I can start using my forum scripts and phpMyAdmin. Unfortunately, Microsoft refuses to load my php.ini no matter what I do. I've installed PHP, unzipped the complete package to my C:\PHP5 folder, set environmental variable to the folder, tried tweaking the registry to the inifilepath, but nothing I do seems to load the php.ini file. I believe I've set everything as I've read, so I'm only becoming more frustrated...

Server API - ISAPI

Virtual Directory Support - enabled

Configuration File (php.ini) Path - C:\WINDOWS

Loaded Configuration File - (none)

Right now, php.ini is sitting in the C:\WINDOWS folder. I've reset IIS. I've rebooted the server. But it refuses to load. I'm not sure what I'm not doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated  ???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.