[SOLVED] PHP and CSS problem with IE.

albee

Hello,

I am new to php so no laughing...lol.

I am trying to use the mailer script found here http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/secure-php-form-mailer-script/#more-35 with my own css page. I am testing this out for a new personal site. I am not a web designer by any means. I like to take templates and mess with them and so on until I get something I like to use. I got the script to work but it renders one way in firefox and another in IE. I have read about a lot of css rendering issues in IE but have come up short so far. This issue appears to be related to the dynamic creation of the page as all of the statically coded pages render the same in firefox and IE. Could someone offer some insight? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Al B.

This is the page in question...

http://www.esotericamstaffs.com/contact.php

I just checked the page.

I did a diff of the outputs from both browsers, and, although it detected a difference, I couldn't pinpoint it.

So, I took the output of IE and put it into FireFox -- it worked.

I took the output of FF and put it into IE -- broken.

This doesn't have anything to do with PHP. This is a pure CSS box-model problem with IE.

Here's the fix:

in default.css:

Change this:

#page {
width: 700px;
margin: 0 auto;
}

to this:

#page {
width: 720px;
margin: 0 auto;
}

While this fixes the problem that you are seeing, it creates another problem: we increase the width by 20px, which was probably done for a reason.

there are a couple other ways to "fix" this, like implementing a box-model hack, or removing the padding on the sidebar:

#sidebar {
float: left;
width: 200px;
padding: 0 20px; /* change this to "padding: 0px;" */
background: url(images/img3.gif) no-repeat right top;
}

More info about the box model problem:

http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html

hello,

i realized that i was putting too much information into a spot not large enough to hold it all...

i changed the following value in my css file...

.ddfmwrap {
margin: 15px auto 15px auto;
width: 420px; 
}

i changed the width from 450px to 420px so everything fits and plays nice. thanks for your help even if it turned out to be something other than php. appreciate it!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.