[SOLVED] MySql inserts instead of updates

allyant

Hey, new guy to here and PHP,

Im having a problem updating a database, I ask the database to update but it inserts a new field insted, here is the update.php:

<?php

$connection = mysql_connect("localhost","root","********");

$db_select = mysql_select_db("address",$connection);
$id = $_GET['id'];
$name = $_POST['name'];
$email = $_POST['email'];
$phone = $_POST['phone'];
if (intval($_GET['id']) == NULL) {
		header("Location: mysql.php");
	}
if ($name && $email && $phone != NULL) {
	$query = "UPDATE table SET `name` = '$name' WHERE `id` = '$id' LIMIT 1";
			$result = mysql_query($query, $connection);
}
if (isset($id)) {
	$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM simple WHERE id = '{$id}'", $connection);
	$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
}
?>
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<title>Edit A Contact</title>

</head>
<body >
<h1>Edit A Contact</h1>
<br />
<form action="newcontact.php" method="post">
Name: <input type="text" name="name" value="<?php echo $row["name"] ?>" /><br />
Email: <input type="text" name="email"value="<?php echo $row["email"] ?>" /><br />
Phone: <input type="text" name="phone"value="<?php echo $row["phone"] ?>" /><br />
<input type="submit">
</form>
</body>

<?php
mysql_close($connection);
?>

When I submit the updated information rather than updating the information it adds a new row with the information.

I am using PHP with MySQL.

Thanks.

Hi allayant,

I'm fairly new to PHP and stuff myself, but I've run into numerous problems now that I'm getting better at spotting them. The first thing I noticed is that your form goes to newcontact.php instead of the update.php you posted. I imagine that'll be why the update statement never happens.

The second thing is that when you do get to the update.php page, there are a couple of issues with that also. You are trying to get the id from the _GET array, although the form has been posted. What I've done in these situations is to add a hidden field to your form along the lines of

<input type="hidden" name="id" value="<?php echo $_GET['id'];?>">

You can then extract the ID from from the $_POST array as you do for the other fields.

I'd also recommend doing some validation on the posted values, at least do a mysql_real_escape_string on the values before passing them to your mysql_query call.

Hope this helps,

Darren.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.