How to read another website

graham23s

Hi Guys,

i was curious as to how i could go about reading parts of another webbsite, say i type a website url in and click submit the script would goto that page and read certain pieces of information i told it to kinda thing

what would be the best way to go abput it, i have just mastered xml files you need to load them in first before you can grab the relevant data but not sure how i would go about doing the same for webpages

any advice would be great

cheers

Graham

If you want to do fancy things like cookies and sending POST data, you'll probably want to look at CURL.

For just a basic webpage read, all of the fopen functions will work just as if it was a file on the local drive.

<?php
echo file_get_contents("http://www.google.com");

Hi Guys,

it's really for getting the rating from imdn of a movie , for a review site

code:

<?php
//=====================================================================================//
// IMDB get rating...
//=====================================================================================//

$str_text = file_get_contents("http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373883/"); 

$pattern = '/(h1|src)=[\'"]/'; 

preg_match_all($pattern, $str_text, $matches); 

echo "<pre>"; 
var_dump($matches); 
echo "</pre>"; 
?>

im not to sure how to set up the reg ex for the rating which is incased in this code:

</div>
<div class="general rating">
<div class="starbar static"><div class="outer"><div class="inner" style="width: 64px"></div></div></div>
<b>User Rating:</b> 
<b>3.2/10</b> 
  <small>(<a href="ratings">323 votes</a>)</small>
<div class="bottom">

the 3.2/10 is the only bit im really after , any help on the reg ex code would be appreciated

thanks guys

Graham

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.