Refinements based search technique

MarioRossi

Hi there,

I'm looking for a best practice methodology of how to approach this kind of search technique. If you are unfamiliar with what I am talking about then please take a look at...

http://shop.ebay.com/Books_Books__W0QQ_trksidZp3910Q2ec3Q2em24Q2el1104

Basically the user clicks on one of the refinement options which updates the relevant search results.

I am quite confident I can get most of this done by parsing the query string and building the SQL query dynamically based on a set of key/value pairs in the WHERE condition. The initial query string is set on the links for each refinement. correct so far?  My confusion comes when i want to add the number of products in parenthesis for each refinement ....  Used (230,000) etc.

Can anybody guide me in the correct direction, please?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.