Classes Question & Controllers (Should be easy)

noidtluom

I have recently learnt OOP and Classes.

Time for my first question. I have a simple database fetch:

$result = mysql_query($query);
    if ( mysql_num_rows($result) > 0 ) {

// now let's use the while function to repeat
      while ( $row = mysql_fetch_object($result) ) {

echo $row->id .' is '. $row->username .'<br />';

}

} else {

echo $error;

}

As part of OOP, (well, it's more of a classes question that's why I didn't put it in the OOP child board) I decided to try and put this into a class where I can call it anytime. However, I'm not too sure how to do this.

This was my try (obviously this function is in a class {} ):

function Query($query,$structure,$error)
{

$result = mysql_query($query);
    if ( mysql_num_rows($result) > 0 ) {

// now let's use the while function to repeat
      while ( $row = mysql_fetch_object($result) ) {

echo $row->id .' is '. $row->username .'<br />';

}

} else {

echo $error;

}

}

I was thinking of being able to 1) specify the query (hence $query in the function), 2) specify the structure of the output and 3) Easily customize error message. I don't always want it to say "No Rows Found" or something like that. For example in the inbox I would want it to say "No messages" if there were no rows, and in the forum profile checking the number of submissions I would want it to say something like "No submissions." You get the idea.

I'm having a problem with 2). I don't know how to specify the structure. Or is there a better way to do it?

OK, for my second question, I've heard about controllers recently and I would like to learn how it works. Can anybody link me to a guide? I would hopefully like one without a .htaccess (unless you can provide a .htaccess with a script which you want to allow people to download). I'm not too sure how to layout my files.

Thanks in advance, and awaiting your helpful replies!

To give a little bit more information on the second question:

If possible I would really like a site or something that can easily explain controllers (hopefully with examples included) for PHP (specific) for complete beginners. I like those ;)

Currently what I have been doing is having an index.php which included a template, and where the content should be I filled it full of <? if ($page=="home") { include ""; } elseif ... etc ?> And to prettify the URLs I would use mod_rewrite so that instead of site.com/index.php?page=mypage (for example) it'll be something like site.com/mypage. However, after hearing about controllers, I feel maybe this isn't the best method.

If there isn't a website/tutorial which can explain it for beginners, I would appreciate some example files for the most basic controller system.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.