Totally lost....Need Major help?

truckie2

Ok.  I'm sure to most of you what I'm about to explain can probably be completed in less than an hour.  I'm so new to PHP and microsoft access that I just heard about it today.  This is what I'm looking to do:

I am trying to make a database in MS Access for a fire/ems agency for a event.  If any of you know what a CAD (Computer Aided DISPATCH) system is, then your right on track.  Basicly I want 2 types of screens.  One screen to enter call information and then to send specific information from that for to a "CAD" screen (which would be another database).  Some of the comboboxes need to automaticly change when certain fields are selected in other boxes.  Sounds complicated?  Probably not to you guys.  I have made the tables, querys, forms, and reports in Access with the layout i want.  How do I get that info to jump forms and auto-fill based on info entered?  ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!!!

- The PHP Virgin..."Truckie" ???

Hi Truckie...and welcome.

First, I have to strongly advise against the voluntary use of MS Access as a database solution. It sucks royal gorilla nuts. It can have it's uses...but even then it really blows. That said, I would recommend using a MYSQL db with PHP. They work great hand in hand.

Second, the auto form features you're describing (If I understood correctly) would work best if you used Javascript/Ajax to do the job. Together with your PHP script...would work beautifully.

Good luck.

I'm in WAY over my head!  MYSQL, PHP, Java/Ajax?  I think I need a smoke after reading about that stuff.  Can anyone simplify what all this is?  Do they make a dummies guide for it?  Again I know NOTHING about what I'm trying to accomplish!  I'm at the point where paying someone might be bennoficial.

If you are more familiar with Access and would rather use it, you can still use a MySQL through Access. Just download the ODBC drivers from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html and set up a DSN. Then link to it from Access and you have a GUI of your database. I think it makes it a lot easier when you are starting out. Aside from setting up the table, when you want to manipulate it through php, I would recommend this website for a compact tutorial. http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_select.asp Read about the "SQL Basic" stuff. MySQL works (almost) the same way as the SQL in Access.

Good luck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.