Apache Amok?

aean

Hallo! I'm very, very, VERY new to Apache. In fact, as much as I enjoy creating web pages, I never entertained the thought of turning my pc in to a server until a buddy of mine asked me to help him with his web page. Previously I'd been saving the site on disk and taking them to his house to check them out. Then I go the idea of making my pc a server just so he can check the pages out over the web.

At first, I tried using IIS, but it started acting up. While surfing various forums trying to narrow down the problem, I came across an entry that told a poster to lose IIS and get Apache because it's easier to work with. Taking that advice, I decided to try Apache. I download an AppServ package that included Apache 2.2, MySQL, and PHP. I installed, followed some tutorials, and marvelled as my web page suddenly became available to the world.

However, I also noticed system responding quite unpleasantly. For starters, everything has seemed to slow down. This could be because I've yet to graduate to a P4 (it's coming) and my RAM is only 384. Again, I had no real intention of turning this pc into a server. I've yet to investigate the system requirements for AppServ.

My second problem is this: Since installed AppServ, in which Apache is a part, I haven't been able to view YouTube vids, some flash files, or PDF files. I keep getting this message:

<i>This object has been blocked.</i>

I'm wondering if this has to do with my firewalls, but I haven't changed any settings that I know of.

Third: I keep losing my deskstop wallpaper.

My question(s): Could Apache be the problem? Is there a way to configure Apache (if indeed Apache is the culprit) to allow certain objects? Should I upgrade to a new pc ASAP?

Again, I'm terribly new to Apache and just maybe it has nothing to do with my phantom pc. But, since it was running fine before the AppServ install, I figured I'd ask here first.

BTW, my humble little system runs Windows XP (SP2).

I should also note that I usually keep shutting Apache off since I really don't need it at this time (only just to show my buddy my progress). Also, I want to make sure I'm "hacker-proof" so I'm doing a lot of research on protecting my pc. However, I plan of keeping Apache because the idea of running a server has grown on me. I just have a lot of learn is all.

A server should really be its own machine. Those specs would normally be OK on a Unix machine, but I'm not sure how much memory XP uses, nor what other programs you might be running. Have you looked through Performance Tuning? Are Apache and MySQL both using low-memory/usage configurations?

Personally, I never use desktop wallpaper. It's one additional thing for the computer to display, keep track of, refresh, etc.--especially on weak machines.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it sort of dawned on me. All of the servers I've seen were their own separate entities. Me, I'm running dreamweaver, premiere, and photoshop (all resources hogs).  And about a hundred other proggies.  I guess I'll live with Apache and try to get it as comfortable for now, until I get my second pc up and running. I plan on running Linux Fedora Core 4 (since I have it laying round). Hopefully, that's sufficient.  Meanwhile, I've bookmarked <b>Performance Tuning</b> with hopes of giving it a thorough read when I'm not working my lame construction job (<i>ho-hum)</i>.

I couldn't give any clear answer as to whether Apache and MySQL are using low-memory/usage configs. I do know that when I go into Task Manager in XP, the CPU Usage is usually pushing 100%.

The whole purpose of all this was to allow my buddy to see the progress I'm making on his page. Up til now, I was completely happy using editing software and burning CDs. Now, I'm slowly becoming addicted to this whole webmaster thing.With a new hobby comes a whole slew of new learnings? I'll keep toying round with Apache and learn more about MySQL.

Thanks again!

Actually, I think you'll have to go through the Performance Tuning for Apache, but I know MySQL (at least in Unix installs) comes with four base configuration files--small, medium, large, and huge. Which applications are hogging the most CPU? (Certainly it isn't Apache or MySQL when compared to Photoshop, et al.?) How many requests are the servers getting?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.