Mysql extension not working after upgrade

I have PHP 5.1.4, apache 2.2 and mysql 5.0.22 running on Windows XP. Works great!

However when I upgrade to PHP 5.2.4 I cannot load the mysql extension. Paths must be correct because the GD2 and MBstring extensions load fine (according to phpinfo page) just the mysql one won't load. Works fine again when I revert to PHP 5.1.4!!!!!!!

I have tried a manual upgrade and automatic install usin the PHP install package. I even tried downloading the php files from different sites but nothing works.

Any ideas?

To upgrade PHP it is simple. Just download the latest version of PHP (making sure you download the zipped binaries package and not the installer) and just extract the contents of zip to where PHP is currently installed making sure you overwrite existing files/folders. Thats it PHP is now upgraded.

make sure you don't any files such as libmysql.dll or php_mysql.dll stored in other places on your hard drive. Make sure these files are only available in PHP's installation folder and MySQL's installation folder. Do a file search for these files.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.