need help to replace die with $error funcation ....

Simon180

I been trying to replace all my die messages with $error so i can handly my error messages better in a echo format below are codes i been trying to convert first one is the old die command version and other one is my $error version I dont no how to set my error funcations up :(

Old Version (Working with Die )

// Email Account Check
$msgcheck = $_POST['message'];
$check = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM support WHERE message = '$msgcheck'")
or die(mysql_error());
$checkmsg = mysql_num_rows($check);

if ($checkip != 0)
    die('<p>Sorry, the following message [ <b>'.$_POST["message"].'</b> ] is already in our support database.</p>');

Below is my version with $error funcation

// Email Account Check
$check = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM support WHERE message = '$msgcheck'")
or die(mysql_error());

if ($checkmsg != 0)
{
if ($error == "") 
{
    $error = "<p>Sorry, the following message [ <b>'.$_POST["message"].'</b> ] is already in our support database.</p>";
}

I want to make it so I can all all error messages in $error so when i use <?php echo($error) ?> in a page it will list the current errror can anyone help plz? thanks

ok i got it to work with my code but the new problem is even no it find there allready a message in the database it still submits it I need to stop the process sum how anyidears????

// Message Check
or die(mysql_error());

if ($checkmsg != 0)
    $error = ('<p>Sorry, the following message [ <b>'.$_POST["message"].'</b> ] is already in our support database.</p>');

thanks alot

no all am doing it checking the messagefield and if there try to add the same msg thats in the field it will now allow them it works but it still adds the message to database even no it picks it up as being in there i need it so when it find the database entry it will stop the add funcation (kill it self) like the die() but with out using die as i can not use that on my website as it makes it look messy for sum reason!

// Email Account Check
or die(mysql_error());
$checknum = mysql_num_rows($check);

if (!$checknum){
    echo('<p>Sorry, the following message [ <b>'.$_POST["message"].'</b> ] is already in our support database.</p>');
}
else{
   # do query 
}

// Message Check
or die(mysql_error());

if (!$checknum != 0) {
$error = ('<p>Sorry, the following message [ <b>'.$_POST["message"].'</b> ] is already in our support database.</p>');
} else {
die():
}

MySQL

CREATE TABLE `support` (                                   
           `id` mediumint(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,              
           `username` varchar(100) default NULL,                    
           `email` varchar(100) default NULL,                       
           `title` varchar(1000) default NULL,                      
           `message` mediumtext,                                    
           `date` varchar(100) default NULL,                                             
           PRIMARY KEY  (`id`)                                      
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=139 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

and post

$messagefield = $_POST["message"];

hop it helps

you mean the data in the data base or the email??? here both

Email:

Simon, has sent the following data :

==================================
Username: Simon
Email: simon@msn.com

==================================

SQL Data

insert  into `support`(`id`,`username`,`email`,`title`,`message`,`date`,`ip`) values 
(139,'Simon','simon@msn.com','info@yoursite.com','testing ....','09-12-2007','Hidden');

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.