[SOLVED] Getting PHP to execute inside Javascript.

BliarOut

I'm building an app in PHP and I need to audit whenever anyone prints. IE 6 & 7 support the onbeforeprint() and onafterprint() function so I can trap whenever anyone prints even if it's not from a button that I've attached code to. The code below fires exactly when I want but I'd like to replace the alert with a MySQL insert that puts an entry in my log table.

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
function window.onbeforeprint()
{
alert('This fires before printing!');

}
</script>

Should the following work in theory (assuming all my variables are already declared etc)?

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
function window.onbeforeprint()
{
<!--Replace this 
alert('This fires before printing!'); -->

<!--With This -->
<?php mysql_query("INSERT INTO log (UserID, EventType, IPAddress) VALUES ('$_SESSION[FullName]', 'Permit no " ."$NewPermitID". " Printed', '$_SESSION[iP]')") or die(mysql_error()); ?>

}
</script>

I don't think you can do php inside of javascript. There might be a solution using AJAX, but I only know a little Ajax so I can't help you there. The php code is processed by the server before the browser ever gets the document containing the HTML and javascript.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.