[SOLVED] Unvalid URL's don't show content of 404.php

Yves

Hello everyone. I'm Yves and ready to learn. So I hope I joined the right forum, cause I need some expert help here (i guess).

Here's my attempt to explain:

Have a look at this url: http://smallarticles.com/index2.php?expert=Jan_Michaels

As you can see a user called 'Jan Michaels' exists so it shows stuff. But when you change Jan_Michaels to Jan_Michael in the url it doesn't show a page not found or url not valid kind of thing.

Actually there are many pages on my site where I would want it to say the url is not valid whenever values in url's are set but not present in my database.

You can see I haven't eaten alot of php-cheese yet. But, nevertheless, I do hope you got an answer. If you need more info in order to help out, I appologise. Just let me know.

phat_hip_prog

Thanks for the quick reply, phat_hip_prog. Awsome!

- Actually I'm passsing an argument via $_REQUEST. Is $_REQUEST the same as $_GET? Does it matter?

- You said "if there's no match": how can I let the code check that the argument isn't found anywhere in the database?

- And how can I redirect it to the 404 without the url in the address bar changing to http://domain.com/404.php ? (leave invalid url visible + show content of 404.php)

jitesh

I don't understand.

Hmmm, i've never used $_REQUEST... but it say's

The PHP $_REQUEST variable contains the contents of both $_GET, $_POST, and $_COOKIE.
(somewhere!)...

So what you need to do is:

if(isset($_GET['expert'])) // or $_REQUEST
{
   $e = $_GET['expert'];

// Do your search of database for $e
   // Then count the results... 
   if($num == 0)
   {
      echo "Sorry page not found!";
   }
   else
   {
      // gen normal page
   }

}

I get it, though ...

if(isset($_GET['expert'])) {
$expert = $_GET['expert'];
$expert = str_replace("_"," ",$expert);
$result = $obj_db->select("SELECT varFullName FROM `tblauthor` where varFullName = '$expert'");
if($num == 0) {
echo "page not found";
}
else {
// find some more stuff of that author
$result1 = $obj_db->select("SELECT * FROM `tblauthor` where varFullName = '$expert' AND intStatus = 1");
$authorId = stripString($result1[0]['intId']);
// ...
// gen normal page
}
}

... it seems to print page not found eventhough the author is in the database. The 4th line of code must be incorrect.

Allright, phat_hip_prog.

After bit of research, I got it working this way. Thanks.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `tblauthor` where varFullName = '$expert'", $link);
$num = mysql_num_rows($result);
if($num == 0) {
echo "page not found";
}
else { ... }

:D

Now. What do I add after echo "page not found"; to load the homepage after 3 seconds?

header("location:http://".$site_URL."");

Use javascript's 'settimeout()' to call a function which use's 'location' to redirect... e.g.

http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/javascriptredirect.php

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function delayer(){
    window.location = "../javascriptredirect.php"
}
//-->
</script>
</head>
<body onLoad="setTimeout('delayer()', 5000)">
<h2 >Prepare to be redirected!</h2>
<p>This page is a time delay redirect, please update your bookmarks to our new 
location!</p>

</body>
</html>

To come back to Reply #7; These lines work when located between the <body> tags. But, when I put them above the <html> tags it doesn't function properly.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource ...

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource ...

To what should I change these to lines so that they can be above the <html> tags and still work?

<?php 
$resnum = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `tblauthor` where varFullName = '$expert'", $link);
$num = mysql_num_rows($resnum);
?>

OK. I'll retype it and try it out.

It just seems a bit strange; my config.inc.php is included and $link in there is properly defined. This $link is properly called when between the <body> tags, but not above the <html> tags. I doesn't seem logical to me. But anyway, I'll try like you suggested! 8)

EDIT: After a closer look at my config.inc.php, I figured out why $link isn't defined above my <html> tags.....

Again - Big Thanks, phat_hip_prog

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.