[SOLVED] restricting letters

uwannadonkey

else if($password != $cpassword)               { $errors[] = 'Password fields did not match.'; }

else if($addressLength == 0)               { $errors[] = 'Address field not filled out.'; }

i have a registration form, and i want to make it so that if telephone # != a number, then the registration wont go through, but using the format above, where the errors are posted on the next page load, how would i do that?

You will check the telephone number with regex... I don't know where you live and what your telephone numbers look like, but in Denmark telephone numbers consist of 8 digits. To validate such a number I would do this:

<?php

if(preg_match("/^[0-9]{8}$/",$telephone)) {
  echo "Valid phone number";
}
else {
  echo "Invalid phone number";
}
?>

almightyegg's solution is usable, it check to see if $telephone is a number but it can be any number of any length. With regex you can check for the length too... and even allow people to separate parts of the number by spaces, - or _ or whatever :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.