[SOLVED] Forum program needs incremental count for user posting

randalusa

I have an old site, a forum that is combined with matchmaking features. Because they are integrated, simply grabbing a ready-made forum program would fail to function without extensive under the hood modifications by someone with a lot of skill.

In order to bring the site a little further out of the last century, I would like to at least add a counter that shows how many times each member has posted in the forum.

After studying php for long enough to feel embarrassed about my lack of ability to write my own code yet, I have decided to reach out and seek help for a few modifications, at least the one listed above.

It is a fairly easy guess that a new column will be needed in what is currently called the MAIN table (list of users), then perhaps the show thread table, if there is one. Maybe an IF statement in the php code also. Probably less than half an hour worth of work on three pages.

Is there a way to get help here (volunteer or a bargain rate), or should one perhaps hire a programmer from India or another cheap outlet?

Upon taking over the site a couple years ago, I did hire the original designer to get a few things done. The price multiplied at his rate way too quickly though, leaving about another 20 improvements on the list. There isn't enough income generated to justify anything other than very modest outlays. At any rate, it seems imperative to at least get the forum post count so people can gauge how new someone is.

Advice?

Freelancer forum is for hiring people.

I was asking for advice, a solution that might be offered free by an experienced programmer in a few minutes.

Aside from that, advice about the correct manner of hiring help if so needed. That means asking the question here first, then perhaps ending up in the freelancer forum after receving a few replies.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.