PHP and file_exists paranoia

Lanselot

I have a code that's supposed to work in the following way:

Generate a random number, check if a file exists with that number as filename. If it exists, then sum one to the number until a filename with that number doesn't exist.

$new_name = rand(0,99999);
$ext = substr($origen,-4,4); //Retrieves file extension
while (file_exists($base.'images/'.$new_name.$ext)) {
  $new_name++;
}

Plain simple... well, the problem is that every some thousands, I get duplicated filenames, which shouldn't be possible.

Am I missing any scenario?

Thank you in advance.

Well, the above code is in a function, and right before it's called the following is executed:

$rscimage = getimagesize($base.'images/'.$file);
     if ($rscimage[2] > 2) { //Delete if not GIF,JPG
        unlink($base.'images/'.$file);
     }
$result = rand_rename($file,$rscimage); //That's the function above

Also in the original code(not simplified for posting), there's an escaped variable among the filename, maybe it has something to do?. Scopes are ok too.

Also probably irrelevant but if you have an sql database, it's really easy to use a uniquely generated id for naming your images, everytime an image is uploaded, just add a new entry to your database, and wallah. a unique id. but since your doing it this way, you prolly not working with one?

Yes, I could put it some other ways, it's just annoying that it doesn't work as should.

Actually its purpose is to generate non-consecutive/non-pattern filenames as to make it hard to guess(not that anything bad happens if someone does). Again, just annoyed.

Thank you  :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.