Failure when uploading large files

Rheves

<form enctype=\"multipart/form-data\" action=\"./ProcessUpload.php\" method=\"POST\">
        Upload this file: <input name=\"userfile\" type=\"file\" />
        <input type=\"submit\" value=\"Upload File\" />
        </form>

That's the code I have for uploading files, it works fine for uploading small files but I'm unable to upload large ones. I'm trying to upload a 22MB PDF file but even after removing the MAX_FILE_SIZE limit(Which was high enough before) the file information still doesn't make it to the processupload page. I get the error that the variable 'userfile', from $_FILES['userfile']['name'] doesn't exist.

Can anyone help me out here?

Somewhat unrelated, but like how do you limit uploading files that exceed the max? There's no way to test its size until it's uploaded... and HTML stuff isn't very reliable, so what's the solution other than letting it bomb and handle the error?

On another note did you try changing the max execution time? What is the error you are getting?

I've had max execution time errors before and this isn't one of them. The error I get is that  'userfile' in basename($_FILES['userfile']['name'] or basename($_FILES['userfile']['tmp_name'] etc. isn't recognized, the same effect as going to ProcessUpload.php directly instead of through the upload form.

As for limiting files that exceed the max, only a select group have access to the upload form, so anything uploaded will be necessary. (I'm assuming you mean huge file abuses or something like that from the public, correct me if I'm wrong here)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.