[SOLVED] Relational table query help needed

MarioRossi

Say I have a relational table as in the attached image.

My current query is....

SELECT DISTINCT pty_att_rel.id_pty FROM pty_att_rel WHERE id_att IN (2,7)

which returns 2 rows - id_pty equaling 1 and 4.

What I want to achieve is to return only those rows where id_att equals 2 AND 7.

If I alter the query to "WHERE id_att = 2 AND id_att = 7" obviously this cannot work.

Any suggestions?  

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for your help, I have researched UNION but from what I can tell I need to use INTERSECT instead. A UNION would still return the results of both seperate queries.

From what I can see INTERESECT is not supported with MySQL so I think I need an alternative method of doing this.

Once I get this resolved I will need to do more than check for 2 values I may have to check against 2,7,9,13,25 etc so I need a solution that will allow this without too much of a performance hit.

Thanks again.

OK I think I've got a working solution, though I had hoped for something a little more elegant.

SELECT DISTINCT pty_att_rel.id_pty FROM pty_att_rel

WHERE id_pty IN (SELECT DISTINCT pty_att_rel.id_pty FROM pty_att_rel WHERE id_att = 7)

AND id_pty IN (SELECT DISTINCT pty_att_rel.id_pty FROM pty_att_rel WHERE id_att = 2)

AND id_pty IN (SELECT DISTINCT pty_att_rel.id_pty FROM pty_att_rel WHERE id_att = 3)

this means for every id_att I want to check against I will have to add another AND to the WHERE condition, can you see a more elegant solution or should I use this? Am I likely to hit any performance issues? I should say I will probably have about 10-15 of these conditions at the most and will be doing a few left joins to the returned rows to retrieve some extra info.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.