2 Select Box Filled Dynamically with Do While Loop

dprichard

I have two select boxes on the same page both filled dynamically and am using a do / while loop to put the information in.  The first one works fine, but the second one is blank.  I can't figure out why the second box shows nothing if it works on the first one.

First Box Code:

<select name="emp_econtact_pphone_type" id="emp_econtact_pphone_type">
                        <option>Choose One</option>

<?php do { ?>

<option value="<?php echo $row_phone['ptid']; ?>"><?php echo $row_phone['ptname']; ?></option>

<?php } while ($row_phone = mysql_fetch_array($phone)) ?>
</select>

Second Box Code:

<select name="emp_econtact2_pphone_type" id="emp_econtact2_pphone_type">
                        <option>Choose One</option>

<?php do { ?>

<option value="<?php echo $row_phone['ptid']; ?>"><?php echo $row_phone['ptname']; ?></option>

<?php } while ($row_phone = mysql_fetch_array($phone)) ?>
</select>

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, so i found out with mysql_data_seek, I can reset the count to the first record like this:

<?php mysql_data_seek(($phone), 0); ?>

The only other issue I have is that the secondary boxes all have a blank row then the rest of the records.

Any thoughts?

Why loop through the list twice? Just loop through the list once creating a variable of the select options and then create the two select lists:

<?php

$phone_options = "<option>Choose One</option>\n";
while ($row_phone = mysql_fetch_array($phone)) {
  $phone_options . = "<option value=\"$row_phone['ptid']\">$row_phone['ptname']</option>\n";
}

?>

<select name="emp_econtact_pphone_type" id="emp_econtact_pphone_type">
<?php echo $phone_options; ?>
</select>

<select name="emp_econtact2_pphone_type" id="emp_econtact2_pphone_type">
<?php echo $phone_options; ?>
</select>

isn't that simpler? Never create two sets of code to do the exact same thing if at all possible. Eventually you will edit one and not the other and have inconsistencies.

or insert line

mysql_data_seek($phine, 0); $row_phone = mysql_fetch_array($phone); 

before 2nd loop

Because, it is bad practice to have two sets of code doing the same thing when you want the results to be the same. You should have one function/process and utilize that.

If he was to want a slight modification to the value for those options in the future it would be very easy to fix one list and overlook the other. By creating the list with one pass and reusing it you are ensured the list will be exactly the same between the two fields.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.