Update virtual iframe

jaymc

Im using AJAX to replace my current system where an IFRAME is used to display a small set of data such as login time, if they have new messages etc

This sits in the corner of my visitors page and refreshes itself every 3 minutes

Rather than use an IFRAME I want to place the content in a div and have AJAX fetch the latest information and update the data

I have this code which is working, testing purposes its set to 15 seconds

function doit() {
open_url('ticker.php', 'tick')
}

function open_url(url, target) {

if (window.ActiveXObject) {
  		link = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
	} else if (window.XMLHttpRequest) {
  		link = new XMLHttpRequest();
	}

link.onreadystatechange = function() { response(url, target); }
	link.open("GET", url + '?ms=' + new Date().getTime(), true);
	link.send(null);
}

function response(url, target) {
	if (link.readyState == 4) {
 	document.getElementById(target).innerHTML = (link.status == 200) ? link.responseText : "Ooops!! A broken link! Please contact the webmaster of this website ASAP and give him the fallowing errorcode: " + link.status;
}
window.setTimeout('doit()',15000);

}

This is working, but its consuming about 0.4MB of memory a second and using 10-20% CPU usage, eventually it consumes around 250MB of memory and crashes the browser

Obviously the code is doing something repeatidly that it shouldnt do

Just so you know, the first time open_url is called, within the function it initiates window.setTimeout('doit()',15000); which will have it loop an infinate number of times in spaces of 15 seconds

Where am I going wrong. Thanks!

P.S - While mucking about with the code I had a stack overflow message appear if thats of any use

Not getting that with the above code, but maybe its related

Definately sounds like an overflow issue with it eating memory until the browser blows up

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.