Check this out

jaymc

I think anything that involves following every pixel that a mouse traverses in two dimensions is going to be a little bit intensive - especially when you actually have to process that information - but it looked like it was running just fine on that site. Really, I guess it depends on what else you've got running on your site. If you're running a huge list of intense functions, then it probably wouldn't be worth it to add this onto the top of all that, but otherwise you'd probably be just fine. I'd say what you risk more is it simply not working in some browsers, though it looks like a fairly straightforward approach, as well as being tested in several of the biggest.

What's wrong with just opening windows? I've never had a problem with external windows being blocked by popup blockers when they're called with window.open(), and if they are, it's easy for the user to unblock them. You could even go as far as google and test for the window after you call it. If you don't find it, send an alert that says your window was blocked and how to unblock it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.