[SOLVED] How to read mysql off as an array?

ted_chou12

Do you mean row as an array, or all as a multidimensional, hmmm me thinks not... (i'd like it too!)

mysql_fetch_array — Fetch a result row as an associative array, a numeric array, or both

mysql_fetch_assoc — Fetch a result row as an associative array

mysql_fetch_object — Fetch a result row as an object

mysql_fetch_row — Get a result row as an enumerated array

http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

Sorry, I wasnt clear, I want to read off each row as an array, and the elements of each row are elements of the array, therefore, a mutidimensional array:

so:

$read = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM forum WHERE threadid='$threadid' ORDER BY id");

I want to echo out elements in the 15th row, how should I do that?

Something like this, probably.

<?php

$sql = "SELECT * FROM table";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

$table = Array();

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
  $table[] = $row;
}

print_r($table[4]); // displays the fourth (or fifth?) row of the table

?>

I would suggest against this, though.  You're going to waste a lot of time and memory loading all the sql results into an array.  Just grab them as you need them.

I can't use the row function because I am not pointing to a specific row, however, I am ordering them first and then find the row number that I want in relation to the other rows, so for eg. the row i want is 15th, the id for that row may not necessary be 15, so the row function wouldnt work.

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.