help needed in building a personal photo gallery like LinPHA

thyscorpion

hi,

i am a not so new and not so old php developer and was planning to make a photo gallery like LinPHA for my site on my own. hence needed help along the way.

i am sure a lot of you must be familiar with LinPHA http://linpha.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

first question i have is how to make that tree like view for the albums like in window's explorer.

(I am planing to use XML to store the path and info about the albums/pictures).

any help will be welcome. i need a nudge to get started.. I am in no way looking for someone to do it for me. as i want to learn to do it myself.

thanks guys..

hi,

i am a not so new and not so old php developer and was planning to make a photo gallery like LinPHA for my site on my own. hence needed help along the way.

i am sure a lot of you must be familiar with LinPHA http://linpha.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

first question i have is how to make that tree like view for the albums like in window's explorer.

(I am planing to use XML to store the path and info about the albums/pictures).

any help will be welcome. i need a nudge to get started.. I am in no way looking for someone to do it for me. as i want to learn to do it myself.

thanks guys..

xml isn't a storage language, it is a language that is used to create server to server relationships.  Secondly a lot of what your asking is done with css/javascript or even flash not php. 

xml isn't a storage language, it is a language that is used to create server to server relationships.  Secondly a lot of what your asking is done with css/javascript or even flash not php. 

Hmm, understood. will css/js be able to give similar results? any links you can provide for me to learn how to do it?

I agree flash is a much more slick and smooth looking option for my kind of work. but i have no clue about flash programming.. hence i was looking at php or js etc..  but if you have a link about a good flash tutorial to help me build a similar project. i will be thankful.

You need to understand the point of all the languages before you try and use them.

Php (Prehyper text processor): It is used to preform computing pre the browser taking the page as being loaded.  This is where a bulck of your data entry/exit happens and data is created to be displayed.

Xhtml (Extend Hyper Text Mark-up Language) :  This is a purly outputting language, it is used to output images, text, objects in a web browser following a series of rules that make the output look universal across browsers (or suppose to if browsers followed acid2)

CSS (Cascading style sheets):  An add-on to the Xhtml langauge that allows generalized styling and layout structures to be created in a cascading style.

Javscript: Script used for browser based interaction, such as validating forms before processing.  This is used to bridge the gaps that PHP fail to make up.

Flash:  A language for developing objects by Adobe, it is a catch all that can do anything really, but is extremly difficult to program effectivly as just raw php/xhtml and is not as well compressed as them.

yes thanks for the info. i knew all that. and the reason i was targeting php was merely to see if it could be done by me.

The reason i didn't go for flash was exactly for the reasons you point out. But now i agree with you php might not be a good option as well! :-)

hence... please help me in deciding what should i ultimately use for the web gallery.

(it won't be a huge gallery.... 10 to 50 albums with 5 to 20 pics each in its peak!..)

thanks for you patience in explaining the various languages... appreciate it.

Well I still think your missing the point, build it with a static layout first and then once you get that just weave the php into it.  You will need to use mysql to store data about the images, but other wise the php is simple, its creating that static layout that appears as you want first then follow it up with simple php that flows into it. 

PHP isn't a data storage language, its a procssing like C or C++ you need to use a databasing like SQL, ODBC, Oracel, MsSQL, MySQL or flat filing to "store data" php can only be used as the library so to speak of that gets the book out of the lbrary you want.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.