Migrating existing site from older version of PHP & MySQL

bemo

I'm not a developer and was hoping to get some help. There's an existing website (on a single box running Linux, Apache, PHP 4.1.2, MySQL 3.23.58) that I need to migrate over to another setup (2 boxes, the web/app server running MS 2003 Server, IIS6, PHP 5.2.4 and a DB box running on SuSE, MySQL 5.0.26). I've gotten the connection between the two new boxes to work, but a lot of the code from the original website doesn't seem to work.

Is there anything obvious I should know about migrating code from the older setup to the newer one, which is running different versions of PHP and MySQL. I've attached 2 php files (both renamed to txt). When I bring up the dir_master.php file, the only thing that comes up is the Name, Affiliation, and Department headers from the contents.php file.... nothing gets displayed from the MySQL database. Like I said, I have been able to pull stuff out of the DB using code I wrote myself to test it, so I'm sure the PHP to MySQL connection is working.

I think the issue might be with the PHP code and how the HTML is embedded in it, but like I said, this isn't my field of expertise. I'm hoping there's a quick syntax fix that I can use without having to completly rewrite everything.... especially since there's a number of PHP files that will need to get changed.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

TIA

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi there,

sorry to say, but you may want to hire someone to help you out with this.

How much time it takes really depends on the full scope of the site functionality.

There will be some work that needs to be done to get your site working in php5+ when coming from php4.

How much effort depends on how the original code was developed.

here's a link to get you started: http://us.php.net/migration52

also, in the name of saving time, you could look into making modifications to you .htaccess file, such as turning on register globals.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that much had changed between PHP4 and PHP5. If that's the case, I could backrev the server to PHP4, I'm just not sure if I'll run into any issues with PHP4 connecting to a MySQL 5 server. Any advice on that front? Any known issues with that setup? I can't backrev the MySQL since there's already a few databases running on that server, but installing PHP4 instead shouldn't be problem. I don't really have a lot of time to spend on this, so any suggestions on what might be the easiest way to get this up and working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.