[SOLVED] Session variable inside IF statement

markkanning

Hello all,

I've got a script that, it seems to me should work fine but, alas, it does not. I simply want to change a session variable for a page based on whether or not a form on that page has been submitted. The session variable "page" does nothing more than populate text. Here it is...

<?php
session_start();
if($submit) {
$_SESSION['page'] = "Thank You!";
include "/header.php";
//RESULT OF SUBMITTED FORM HERE
include "/footer.php";
}
else {
$_SESSION['page'] = "Send Us Your Event";
include "/header.php";
//PAGE WITH FORM HERE
include "/footer.php";
}
?>

The result of this script is I keep getting the form page...no submission and the "page" var stays the same.

However, If I break up the session variable declarations and the 2 pages into 2 different IF statements, both requiring the submit var, the form will submit but, once again, the session variable remains the same.

Any suggestions?

Where does $submit come from? Is this the name of your submit button? If it is it should be $_POST['submit'] or $_GET['submit'] depending on your forms submit method (this is defined in the form tag).

<?php
session_start();

include "./header.php";

if(isset($_POST['submit']))
{
$_SESSION['page'] = "Thank You!";

//RESULT OF SUBMITTED FORM HERE

}
else {
$_SESSION['page'] = "Send Us Your Event";

//PAGE WITH FORM HERE
}

include "./footer.php";
?>

You'll only know if you test it. I don't know what you doing. I just assumed $submit variable refers to your form's submit button, make sure you have a submit button in your form named submit in order for the if/else statement to work.

The problem is to do with the argument in your if statement. Not to do with your session variables.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.