In forum Deffinnitions.

cooldude832

Some forums define specific words for you like for games describe stuff when you hover it based on a dictionary in it.  I was navigating phpfreaks when i realized how amazing this would be with a technical one.  This could be used on stuff like GET, POST, pagination, headers, echo etc.  It would highlight all special php words and auto link them to php.net and have a pop-up with the word description.

I know how to do all that, the question is that I want it to become self learning.  The system would learn the words, based on the writing in the forum.  Then the list of generated word's would be sent to a system admin for insertion into the word table.  My question is anyone got any idea how to get it to be self learning?  I'd assume I look for All Caps words, acronyms, or if people say What does This mean, this?? etc then it would wait till x matches of a word is discovered and then tell the admin.

I'd assume this be a lot of work as the matches would be complex and to make it match words would be a challenge, but making it a universal system that could be added as a mod on BB or vBulliten would be really cool.

Any steps in the right direction, or ideas, feedback be great

When your logged (couldn't find at first) at http://www.linuxquestions.org forums, you can (are supposed to) add 'tags'. These are used to help compile a search database, they could also be used for this. I know it's not really self learning, but how would you define a technical programming word? If you were to build a lexicon, then you wouldn't need it to learn cos you'd already taught it everything it'd need to know. Which leads you to ask is it basically a finite solution, until you move into slang? Then you'd just lookup other lexicons such as http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/. Simple answer, dunno?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.