[SOLVED] Refresh page and pass a value across

noobstar

Hi what im tring to do is basically this:

I have 2 radio buttons if one is clicked it goes to one function and is supposed to set a variable to a value. If the other radio button is clicked it goes to another similar function and is supposed to set the same variable to something else though.

This works only for one but not the other for some reason, below is the code. Thank you for any help in adv.

Javascript:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript'>
<!-- Begin
redirTime = '2000';
redirURL = 'http://www.test.test.com/shout.php';
function artpickOut() { <?php $artpick = "Outside Article"; ?> self.setTimeout('self.location.href = redirURL;',redirTime); }
function artpickMy() { <?php $artpick = "My Article" ?> self.setTimeout('self.location.href = redirURL;',redirTime); }
// End -->
</script>

My radio buttons:

<input type="radio" name="optArtPick" value="Outside Article" onClick="artpickOut()">Outside Article
<input type="radio" name="optArtPick" value="My Article" onClick="artpickMy()">My Article

thanks again!

You're getting confused in the ways PHP and Javascript are processed.

PHP (PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a server side language. That means that all of that your code is executed and outputted before the file is sent to the client.

Javascript is a client side language, meaning that the code is executed at the client's side, hence it's executed after the file is sent, after any server-side processing takes place.

In this context, PHP executes all of the PHP code first, and then sends it off:

Try putting this line at the end of your code:

<?=$artpic?> or <?php echo $artpic?>

If you notice, it'll always output the last thing you set it to, "My Article". That's simply the way the code is executed.

Try using GET variables (url query).

Example: (you don't really need javascript, or radio inputs for that matter)

<a href='test.php?var=outside'>Outside Article</a><br>
<a href='test.php?var=my'>My Article</a>

test.php:

<?php
$var=$_GET['var']; //This gets the variable from the query
if ($var=='outside') echo "Outside article";
else if ($var=='my') echo "My article";
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.