setInterval()

jaymc

Is there a way to use setInterval() without it calling the function at the start, and then how ever many seconds later

So for instance this will execute do() every 10 seconds, however, when the page is loaded it wil lexecute then execute again 10 seconds later and so on. When the page is loaded I want it to load do() for the first time after 10 seconds...

setInterval(do(), 10000)

mootools use setInterval too for their periodical function, you can do it using setTimeout instead and calling the function on load.

function do(){
     do something
     setTimeout("do()", 10000);
}

do();

That wouldnt work either

The problem is... its an AJAX refresh, however, when the page is first loaded I use PHP to include the file I want refreshing

From then on, I want javascript to recall the file ever 10 seconds..

The problem is.. when I use PHP to originally include the first load of the file.. the file is processed

Then, when the do(); kicks in from the javascript, ir immediately requests the file, and then again every 10 seconds

What I need the javascript to do is not do anything at all for 10 seconds, rather than do it when do() is called and then every 10 seconds..?

mootools use setInterval too for their periodical function, you can do it using setTimeout instead and calling the function on load.

function do(){
     do something
     setTimeout("do()", 10000);
}

piggy backing off of this do

window.onload = function(){

setTimeOut('do();', 10000);

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.