help with an "undefined varible" issue...

gr8graphix

My skills are basic at best, but I can normally edit existing codes to suite my needs and someday hope to be good at it (any good coaches out there?)...

Any way, I am working on this piece of code that pulls in all the echos from a language file include. Works fine but it generates dozens of "undefined variable" warnings each time it goes to the language file.

For instance, the language file contains:

$l_admin18 = "The webpage <b>$file</b> has been successfully edited!!!";

All the other files that do the work, includes the language file and lets says one of them calls "$l_admin18" variable. The "$file" part of the variable is undefined within the language file but IS defined somewhere else, so it works fine, but I get the undefined notice.

Am I making sense?

My thoughts are to write a snippet that checks for a value, if none exist, a value is assigned. Is this the best way to go or is some "empty" function better? or maybe just add the "@" to ALL the lines involved?

Well, I did add:

error_reporting (E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

To the beginning of the main "index.php" file which suppressed all the notices and the script works fine, but I read somewhere that you really should clean the code up so those messages don't show up - that is what I am trying to do.

the language file is just a list of variable declarations

$I_head1 = "text of some sort"
   $I_head2 = "some text"
   $I_head3 = "more text"
   $I_head4 = "and even more"
   etc...

it is all the messages that get printed on screen and there are different version based on different languages.

the problem comes from when there is a variable called in the language code that has not been defined

$I_head2 = "the file named $file is big"

the $file variable is declared somewhere else, so when the language file is included, I get the "undefined" warning for each occurrence of the $file variable in the language php file.

Is there some code like "check variable if empty, ignore"?

if ( ! empty($file) (???)

ok, I am rambling...thanks in advanced and you'll probably see me on this forum ALOT... :)

after a quick review of your post,

i am guessing that the language files are like so

$color = "colour";
$style = "Cool";
$effect= "none";

$color = "color";
$effect= "lots";

now the problem with the above is if you include the UK.php it will be fine but if you called the US.php $style isn't defind, so you really need to add this in to the US.php file..

OR...

create a new file with all the variables and call that first ie

$color = "";
$style = "";
$effect= "";

$lang = "US";
include "preset.php";
include "$lang.php";

The include is simple, I have several in the begining:

// Config.php is the main configuration file.
  include('config.php');

// Password file.
  if (is_file("$datadir/user_pass.php")) {
  include ("$datadir/user_pass.php");
  }

// Language file.
  include("lang/$language");

// Name of page for links, title, and logout.
  $logout = "index.php";
  if ($su == "on") {
  $page_name = "su";
  } else {
$page_name = "index";
  }

But I guess I wasn't clear on the execution of the command. Let me try again...

the language file is just a list of feedback, kindof like what MadTechie is saying. Lets say my index.php has a line that says (echo "You have successfully edit $page"). Since I want this available in different languages, this line is changed to (echo "$admin14"). The "$admin14" is pulled from the language file that was included which is ($admin14 = "You have successfully edit $page") for the english file. The problem occurs because the $page variable is not defined in the language file so when you first start the program and the index.php loads the language file, the index.php references the "$admin14" line in the language file 20 times...so I get 20 warning messages...

better?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.