accept post data from form, process, then redirect data to another script

gnznroses

I thought this would be fairly easy, but upon sitting down to do it, now I dunno.

i have an html file with a form, and this POSTs data to a PHP script. it's actually a signup form. i want to add another input box to the signup form to get extra info, but the catch is that the PHP file that process the form is encrypted and i can't edit it. so, my idea was: change the html of the form to submit to myform.php, then i'll process the new data field, and re-POST the form to the original file, "encoded.php".

except i'm not sure how to do that or if it's possible... i could use curl of course, but the user needs to be kept down this path of

user fills form -> i process the data -> original php file processes it, checks for invalid info, etc -> user lands on post-signup page, whether it was a success or it's now telling them what info needs corrected.

suggestions?

Write your own version of the encrypted script and add in the extra field?  If you can't/don't want to do that, then you'd have to add a hidden form on the second page (your php page) with hidden fields for each of the fields that need to be passed across to the encrypted file.

Eg:

<form method="POST" action="encrypted.php">
<input type="hidden" name="somevar" value="<?php echo $_POST['somevar'];?>">
<input type="hidden" name="anothervar" value="<?php echo $_POST['anothervar'];?>">
</form>

EDIT: Just noticed a problem, the form wouldn't be submitted.  You'd have to have a button that would say "Continue to Register" or something similar.

ah, i hadn't really thought of using a second page.

i can't really write my own version of the encoded script because i'm not sure of everything it does.

one problem with using a second page (my new form -> my script -> old form), or my original idea either, is that the user's account won't be in the DB yet at the time i process the data. so if i take in my new form input, i can't save that in the db alongside the user account because it hasn't actually been created yet.

i guess i could use your idea of a second page, instead of interjecting it between the existing form and script, and have a link somewhere, after the user signs up, to my new form. it just may be confusing to the user if an ad says "mention promo code __" and that option isn't on the signup page.

i don't honestly think it matters. it's just the usual stuff: name, address, etc. it's a signup form. i just want to add one more text input to ask the user something, and then store that info in the db along with their other info (i'll have to add a new field to the existing db table).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.