Help with SSH2 functions and general use (not installation)

aluminumpork

I finally got the SSH2 PHP extension installed and working properly and have played around with some of the functions and also a couple of classes that simply things. However, I guess I'm still a bit confused as to how to connect to your standard fare Linux box and actually get something done.

For instance, most of the SSH2 classes wrap the ssh2_connect and ssh2_auth_password functions together, so you can do something like this:

$ssh->connect($host, $user, $pass, $port);

However, this always fails with an authentication failed message, even though I -know- the information I provided is correct. I'm kind of at a loss as to where to go from here.

My ultimate goal is to be able to connect, run a command, retrieve the results of the command and disconnect, which I have been able to do with a telnet class in PHP, without much issue. Due to the insecurity of Telnet however, I do not want to continue using it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Have you tried NOT wrapping them to see what you get?

if (!function_exists("ssh2_connect")) die("function ssh2_connect doesn't exist");

// log in at server1.example.com on port 22

if(!($con = ssh2_connect("server1.example.com", 22))){

echo "fail: unable to establish connection\n";

} else {

// try to authenticate with username root, password secretpassword

if(!ssh2_auth_password($con, "root", "secretpassword")) {

echo "fail: unable to authenticate\n";

} else {

// allright, we're in!

echo "okay: logged in...\n";

}

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.