COUNT problem

padams

When I try to count the number of elements in an array (stored in a session array), I can't get it to work. The elements are all present, as when I echo the contents it prints 1, 2, 3, 4 - but when I try counting this it always returns 1. The contents of the session are being brought forward from a previous page, and when I use exactly the same code on that page I get the correct count of 4. Any idea why this would be failing?

$count = count($_SESSION['creatematch']['team']);  <----------contents of session array is 1, 2, 3, 4

echo $count;  <------------ result is 1

There are three stages in the process.

1. User enters data using a multi-select list

2. Confirmation page. Data from list is POSTED through and inserted into the session array

$_SESSION['creatematch']['team'] = $_POST['matchTeam'];

3. Data entered into database. I loop through the array, creating new records for each element in the array. This is because the number of elements selected in step 1 can vary.

$gameqry = "INSERT into games (playerID, oppositionID, gameSeason, teamID) VALUES ";

$count = count($_SESSION['creatematch']['team']);

for ($i=0; $i<$count; $i++) {

$gameqry .= "('" . $_SESSION['creatematch']['team'][$i] . "',

'" . $_SESSION['creatematch']['opposition'] . "',

'" . $_SESSION['creatematch']['season'] . "',

'" . $_SESSION['creatematch']['ottersteam'] . "'),";

}

$gameqry = substr($gameqry,0,-1);

$gameqry = mysql_query($gameqry);

Everything else seems to be working, the first element in the array is inserted, it's just that it's not looping through the array. I checked the $count variable and it only ever shows as 1, even when there are many elements in the array.

can you post the results of this

print_r($_SESSION['creatematch']);

in code tags

also you loop an array without counting

foreach ($_SESSION['creatematch']['team'] as $team) {
    $gameqry .= "('" . $team . "',
}

Results are:

Array ( [ottersteam] => 1 [season] => 2005 [date] => 234 [opposition] => Rhinos [result] => [matchResult] => Won [triesfor] => 3 [triesagainst] => 1 [report] => blah blah blah [team] => 1, 2, 3, 4 [trycount] => 3 )

I tried the following, but all that came out was: "INSERT into games (playerID, oppositionID, gameSeason, teamID) VALUES", so it didn't iterate through the array. I would assume that from the print result above there are 4 elements in the array, so it should loop through 4 times?

$gameqry = "INSERT into games (playerID, oppositionID, gameSeason, teamID) VALUES ";

foreach ($_SESSION['creatematch']['team'] as $team) {

}

$gameqry = substr($gameqry,0,-1);

$gameqry = mysql_query($gameqry);

thats because team is NOT an array, its a string.. so to make life easier lets convert it to an array ;)

<?php
$teamArray = explode(", ",$_SESSION['creatematch']['team']);
foreach ($teamArray as $team) {
}
?>

//untested (written on the fly)

Thanks, once I added $gameqry = substr($gameqry,0,-1); it worked great.

At what point did the array get turned into a string? The multi-select list data was placed in an array and POSTed to the next page and entered into what I thought was a session array. Obviously something didn't go as I expected, is this standard? In other words, will I need to convert to an array using explode every time I try this?

Thanks again, VERY much appreciated!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.