Searchable data

mag00

Hi, just found this place and have high hope that I can achieve my lofty goals with the help here.

I have set out on a project that I need  very searchable and sortable data.

I have tried opendb, but that's not quite what I want and hard to use. I have tried numerous foto galleries and they won't do what I want, and do alot that I don't need.

So I pretty much resigned myself to figuring this out and setting one up from scratch, a task which may be larger than I can handle.

I tried a few php tutorials, and have a general concept of how mysql and php work. That is pretty much it.

I need a data management type system. Pictures, links, keyword, category etc.

End result on the website will be for the surfer to sort my data by any method they desire. Some of the data will need to be clickable. As the websites of my friends, sort by content, or alphabetical, or by submission or banner, and then when clicked be able to go to the page.

If anybody knows of a good script for this please let me know.

I am running on godaddy now and have mysql php etc.

I would like to start by setting up my database tables proper so that writing the php is easy as pie so to speak. Once set up, all I should need is to add more data, right? Don't really need any login or users other than me.

I know this may be a tad vague, but I hope to narrow questions down as I go.

Thanks much

Dave

phpnuke is good

I tried phpnuke awhile back, and other cms such as mambo joomla drupal dragonfly etc.

These are wonderfull programs and I liken them to dreamweaver or nvu vs hand coding html

I need to start with hand coding to get the hang of it.

The web page will need to work sortof like an exell spreadsheat.  Columns rows and searchable and sortable.

But for the surfer, non editable. Just a search and sort function.

So with my database, I would need to first create the structure for the information to reside and be searchable. I am willing to just go to the phpmyadmin panel and create whatever by manual process.

Then from a  web page I need to be able to fill in the different fields and send it to the database.

I assume I will need to have an admin security on the input to the database from my browser.

Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.